Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Commission

I'm loving what I am in the middle of creating right now.  It's a very large bas relief with religious themes.  It is surrounded by a large picture frame with the top carved off and replaced with a Gothic arch.  Nice.  I tell you this because it is a long term project. 

And in the mean time, a got a phone call for a piece that must be done by Christmas!  I will be making an angel - with wings!  I will be using wet clay so it will be fired and be a one of a kind piece.  I'm very excited about doing this, and a little bit hesitant too.  I am used to oil based clay that uses armatures, and molds and bronze.  This will be a new experience.  Wet clay is sculpted, then hollowed out to dry, and then fired. So the design will be different from working in oil base clay.  So - working on it in my head for a while.  Not too modern and stylized.  Not too many out-flung pieces that become delicate.  Not too baroque.  Not too mourning and sad.  Standing?  Sitting?  I see it with face and hands turned up.  I'm excited to see what this will be!

1 comment:

  1. I feel very privileged to have seen your work in progress. It is absolutely amazing. I love the story it tells.

    ReplyDelete